The sentence:

私に verb (for example: 行ってほしくない) + ほしくない

This means "(someone) don't want me to go"

Can anyone give me a bit of an insight why the に particle is used here. How I think of the に particle is as follows. When using the に particle, the next verb (after the に) acts towards whatever preceeds the に particle, in this case, it acts on 私 which very literally translates to "don't want/wish to come to me".

I can't seen to understand why the に particle can be used in this manner. Any help will be appreciated.

Addendum:
A bit of an unreasonable question, but I thought I'd ask anyways. Can anyone recommend me some material/ video that explains all the usages of に particle. I found https://www.wasabi-jpn.com/japanese-grammar/japanese-particle-ni-clear-up-all-doubts-you-may-have/ but I don't see any explanation of に particle used in the fashion of the sentences above.

You say:

When using the に particle, the next verb (after the に) acts towards whatever preceeds the に particle...

which suggests that you think of に as meaning 'to' in some sense. But I would say that it can just as often mean 'from'.

田中さん本を買ってもらった。
Tanaka bought me a book.
Literally: I received book buying from Tanaka.

田中さん寿司を食べられた。 Tanaka ate my sushi (and I'm miffed about it).
Literally: I received sushi eating from Tanaka.

Your sentence works the same way:

行ってほしくない
somebody doesn't want me to go.
Literally: Somebody doesn't want (the act of) going from me.

Maybe somebody has a clever way of fusing these two seemingly opposite meanings (to/from) into a glorious whole, but I'm happy to think of them separately and let context tell me which meaning to apply.

Aside: I'm no expert but my understanding is that using ほしい with a third person is wrong, and that in this case you should use something like もらいたがっている instead.

• Thanks for the answer. I suppose context is really the best way to tell whether the に particle indicates "to" or "from". Giving an example sentence, 田中に行ってほしくない can either mean "don't want to go to tanaka's place" or it can mean "don't want tanaka to go" – Newbie Jun 10 at 7:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.