I'm learning Japanese at an advanced age, and I'm having difficulty hearing R. Depending on the speaker, I hear one of three different consonants: R, or L but also it can sound like a D. In the first two cases, I know that it must be R, but when I mistake R for D, well, it can change the meaning. For example: I was pronouncing understood wakarimashtia as wakadimashtia because that's what I perceived. I've been replaying the lessons again and again, but I'm just not hearing it.

Is there any set of exercises or listening techniques, anything that helps? Also, is this a common problem for older students?

Addendum post comments: I see from the related post that my problem is sort of the inverse of the issue therein but nonetheless a function of my own brain literally being stuck in English. And it seems time, practice, and perseverance are my only remedies. Thank you for your time and attention.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.