i really had this question in my mind and it caused me a lot of pain. My question is : what is the difference between using ( wa ) and ( ga ) with adjectives ? i got confusion because i studied that japanese doesn't have real adjectives , instead it has adjectival verbs ( i-adj ) and adjectival nouns ( na-adj ) and both of them are verbs that modify nouns as it is . and it was mixed up with what i have studied about ( wa ) and ( ga ) , that in the adjective-predicate sentences we should use wa usually . can any one here solve my confusion please . thank you in advance . signature : passionate of japanese

• Not really an answer, but I suggest you to tackle the は/が topic on its own, without considering adjectives. As far as I know, any of the three basic types of sentences (adjective-ending sentences, verb-ending sentences and noun-ending sentences) can be combined with either は or が. Perhaps you could provide some examples on your specific issue with は/が combined with adjectives so the community can help you better? Thank you!! – jarmanso7 Jun 6 at 21:47
  • There are many good answers in the forum covering は vs が, such as this one. – jarmanso7 Jun 6 at 21:50

In short, は is used to describe known/general information, whereas が is used to report newly perceived temporary event. This rule applies regardless of the type of the predicate (i-adjectives / na-adjectives / verbs).

• ポストは赤い。 A mailbox is red. [general/known information]
  • 私の車は赤い。 My car is red. [general/known information]
  • 信号が赤い。 The traffic light is (currently) red. [newly perceived information]
  • 顔が赤いよ。 (I noticed) Your face is being red. [newly perceived information]
  • 財布はない。/財布はありません。 I don't have a wallet. [known information]
  • 財布がない。/財布がありません。 (I noticed) My wallet is missing! [newly perceived information]

This usage of が to report new information is called "neutral-description ga", 中立描写文, 現象文, 中立叙述文, etc.

See:

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.