i really had this question in my mind and it caused me a lot of pain. My question is : what is the difference between using ( wa ) and ( ga ) with adjectives ? i got confusion because i studied that japanese doesn't have real adjectives , instead it has adjectival verbs ( i-adj ) and adjectival nouns ( na-adj ) and both of them are verbs that modify nouns as it is . and it was mixed up with what i have studied about ( wa ) and ( ga ) , that in the adjective-predicate sentences we should use wa usually . can any one here solve my confusion please . thank you in advance . signature : passionate of japanese

• Not really an answer, but I suggest you to tackle the は/が topic on its own, without considering adjectives. As far as I know, any of the three basic types of sentences (adjective-ending sentences, verb-ending sentences and noun-ending sentences) can be combined with either は or が. Perhaps you could provide some examples on your specific issue with は/が combined with adjectives so the community can help you better? Thank you!!
    – jarmanso7
    Jun 6, 2019 at 21:47
  • There are many good answers in the forum covering は vs が, such as this one.
    – jarmanso7
    Jun 6, 2019 at 21:50

1 Answer 1

In short, は is used to describe known/general information, whereas が is used to report newly perceived temporary event. This rule applies regardless of the type of the predicate (i-adjectives / na-adjectives / verbs).

• ポストは赤い。 A mailbox is red. [general/known information]
  • 私の車は赤い。 My car is red. [general/known information]
  • 信号が赤い。 The traffic light is (currently) red. [newly perceived information]
  • 顔が赤いよ。 (I noticed) Your face is being red. [newly perceived information]
  • 財布はない。/財布はありません。 I don't have a wallet. [known information]
  • 財布がない。/財布がありません。 (I noticed) My wallet is missing! [newly perceived information]

This usage of が to report new information is called "neutral-description ga", 中立描写文, 現象文, 中立叙述文, etc.

See:

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .