In an article about penetrant testing (浸透探傷検査) I found the following sentence:

浸透液は水洗式でハケ塗りとし,極力溶接部以外に浸透液が付着しないようにすること.

In this kind of test, a penetrant liquid is used on a surface (in this case a weld area, 溶接部) to check if it has defects.

Here I read that 水洗式 refers to a flush toilet, but in this context it doesn't make much sense to me. Could it refer to a drainage outlet or something similar? I mean something used during the test to collect the dripping of penetrant liquid?

Thank you for your help!

水洗 does not refer to a flush toilet itself, but it refers to a method/system.

• 水: water
  • 洗: wash / clean
  • 式: -type

So 水洗式 (literally "water-wash type") can refer to anything that can be washed, flushed or wiped with water. In layman terms it usually refers to a type of toilet, but in this case, it describes a type of 浸透液. The Wikipedia article you linked has a good explanation for this:

The excess penetrant is then removed from the surface. The removal method is controlled by the type of penetrant used. Water-washable, solvent-removable, lipophilic post-emulsifiable, or hydrophilic post-emulsifiable are the common choices.

So:

浸透液は水洗式でハケ塗りとし、
The penetrant must be water-washable and applied with brushes, ...

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.