What are these Japanese characters?

looks like 'n'

looks like 'S'

I have seen these characters in plenty of untranslated manga, but I haven't been able to find those two letters anywhere.

Does anyone know what Japanese characters they are supposed to be?

• I think (not completely sure) it's そ and り. – Aeon Akechi Jun 1 at 23:00
    Could the S-shaped one be a vertical 〜? – mamster Jun 1 at 23:03
    You shouldn't upload screen shots of single characters. Even if (in this particular case) they're easy to read, it's easier to read characters in an actual linguistic context, so what you're doing is essentially making the question more difficult for no reason. You can look up the "word superiority effect" for more information. As an aside, these aren't letters, they're characters. – snailboat Jun 2 at 1:52

The "looks like 'S'" character is most certainly the vertical writing mode variant form of either:

〜 U+301C WAVE DASH

or:

~ U+FF5E FULLWIDTH TILDE

Refs:

U+301C & U+FF5E in vertical writing mode

• That software looks useful. How can I download and install it for Windows? Thanks. – kandyman Jun 2 at 20:18
  • Unicopedia Plus is an Electron app available from its GitHub repository; there is no binary readily available for Windows, it would have to be built from source code, and it has only been successfully tested on macOS and Linux so far... – user34239 Jun 2 at 20:44

For future reference, I would suggest providing more context for questions. Without the proper context, answers may be less accurate.

The first one is almost certainly the hiragana り (ri).
enter image description here

As mentioned, more information would be helpful, particularly about the second one. I will edit my answer if more information is available.

EDIT: See the answer by user34239 for information on the second character.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.