What does

慕う彼女は

mean?

I posted the question on HiNative to no luck and Google Translate is definitely way off. The use of the と particle has me a bit confused.

The と here means as/like in the sense of A as B when comparing A to B. It's definition 3 in デジタル大辞泉:

3 比較の基準を表す。「君の―は比べものにならない」「昔―違う」

It's definition 4 in デジタル大辞泉:

4 動作・状態などの結果を表す。「有罪―決定した」「復讐 (ふくしゅう) の鬼―化した」

But honestly, I think it feels like it's used similarly to として.

The clause says "she who is respected as a mother"

• So, we adore/ or respect her as a mother. Would the following make sense? 彼は立派な学生と慕う/立派な学生と慕う彼は。He who is respected as a fine student/ I respect/ adore him a fine student. – Grant Poston May 31 at 18:16
  • Btw, thank you so much for helping me out. I'm reading the promised neverland right now. I kind of figured the general meaning of this sentence but wanted to know what was going on grammatically. Appreciate it! – Grant Poston May 31 at 18:21
    この「と」は「4 動作・状態などの結果を表す」の方の意味ではないでしょうか。何も比較していませんので。 – naruto May 31 at 21:07
    @GrantPoston If "he" is the topic of the sentence and he is respected by many, you usually have to say 彼は立派な学生と慕われている or 立派な学生と慕われている彼 using the passive voice. In your case, I think the active voice is used because there is a particular person in the story who respects her like a mother. This use of と is discussed in this question. – naruto May 31 at 21:27
    ^ そうですね、3 比較の基準を表す。「君の―は比べものにならない」「昔―違う」 ではないですね、「比較の基準」ではないし、「~と同じ」「~と違う」「~と比べる」の「と」とは違いますから。 「(~を)母慕う」の「と」は、これが近いのでは?  japanese.stackexchange.com/a/67957/9831 (「(~を)師仰ぐ」の「と」) – Chocolate Jun 1 at 12:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.