I asked an earlier question What does 通して聞く mean when they are used together? where I was confused by how a sentence used 通して but with a は instead of a を. Can someone help to shed some light on whether this is allowed, and if so.. under what instances can we use は instead?

Thanks for reading!

The object of a verb is usually marked with を, but when that object is the topic of the sentence, を will be replaced with は. This is a basic grammatical rule, and it has nothing to do with the usage of 通して itself. See: What is a topic prominent language?

In your example, みなさんのパフォーマンス is the topic of the sentence, so it's marked with は even though it's the object of 聞く.

Related:

EDIT: Note that the object of みなさんのパフォーマンス is 聞く, not 通す. 通して is the te-form of 通す, and here it's working like an adverb that describes how the main action (聞く) is done. Compare: 音楽を座って聞く ("to listen to the music while sitting"), リンゴを急いで食べる ("to eat an apple in a hurry").

I might be wrong, but I get the feeling that the OP thinks that を is marking the object of 通して rather than 聞く because "を通して" appears as an entry in Jisho with a meaning of "through/throughout". – user3856370 May 31 at 15:20
  • @user3856370 You're right, edited my post to clarify. – naruto May 31 at 22:17
  • @user3856370 is correct in his/her presumption, I presumed that を is the marker instead of は because I have learnt that を+通して normally comes together but your explanation explains it much better (especially with the edit). Thanks for the clarification – Arcoirs Jun 1 at 5:40
  • a follow-up question (sorry for pestering), as a foreign learner, I have learnt how certain phrases normally come with specific particles such as を+通して in this situation but I have recently come by to see that this is not always true, so it will make more sense to look at the clauses/sentence before determining whether we need to change the particles – Arcoirs Jun 1 at 5:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.