For example, what word would I use to say like “Boys are cute” or “Guys are cute”? I’m 19, so what word would fit me? 男?

  • 2
    Its not uncommon to use 子(こ)if you perceive their age or social/workplace status to be similar or below yours. A common phrase is あの子 or あの子たち meaning that (guy/girl) in both singular and plural. May 31, 2019 at 7:13

1 Answer 1


I think [男子]{だんし} is the appropriate word here. Take for example this article. Note that [男子]{だんし} and [女子]{じょし} are used when referring to a group of boys or girls respectively, never when referring to an individual.

  • thank you! so then, how would i say “that boy/guy is really cute?” for an individual? May 30, 2019 at 13:51

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .