What are the illustrations they use to show information in Japanese TV called? I don't know if I'm describing them well, so I've included a picture.

enter image description here


Are you referring to this physical board itself? Then there is no well-known specific name for this type of board. It's probably just called ボード or 情報ボード. Handheld smaller boards (roughly the same size as sketchbooks) are commonly called フリップ. See these image search results. Text digitally superimposed on screen is called テロップ.

Or are are you referring to the names of these specific illustrations? I'm at least seeing a 人物の写真, a 人物関係図 and 会話の再現イラスト, but the catch-all term for these illustrations is perhaps just 情報 ("information").

  • 1
    Maybe he means the style of board where you see them peeling off panels to reveal information underneath. – kandyman May 30 '19 at 9:37
  • 1
    @kandyman That style has a slangy name もんたメソッド, but this board seems to have nothing to be peeled. – naruto May 30 '19 at 10:00
  • 1
    The Monta Method - wow, never heard of that before. 面白いね。 – kandyman May 30 '19 at 10:06
  • Was it popularized by みのもんたさん or something? – By137 May 31 '19 at 12:12
  • 1
    Yes, this "peeling the フリップ" method is inspired by みのもんた. See this video. – naruto May 31 '19 at 12:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.