long-time lurker, am hoping that I can get some help on something

I came upon a tweet which has this particular sentence "みなさんのパフォーマンスは通して聞くことでより魅力的..."

I am perplexed by how 通して聞く are used together. I understand how ~通して works and I have seen how it pairs with other verbs such as 見る so 通して見る, in this context of "ウィンドウを通して見ることができる" means looking through the window but I am not sure what does 通して means when it is paired with 聞く. I googled and I saw clauses such as "アルバムを通して聞く" which probably means listening throughout the album? Can I presume that in the context of the tweet, it means the same thing? Listening throughout the performance?

On an unrelated note, may I also ask whether は can be used with 通して? I normally see 通して used with を so I was a bit caught off.

Thanks for reading!

I believe this usage corresponds to the following definition of 通す/徹す from 大辞林:

(とおして…する」の形で)始めから終わりまで休みなしにある動作をする。「全曲を—して聞く」「昼も夜も—して働く」

So ~を通して聞く would basically be "listen to 〜 straight through, from beginning to end."

• I guess a non-literal translation might be "The more I hear, the more intrigued I am by everyone's performance". – Earthliŋ May 29 at 19:19
    thanks for the clarification! I will like to ask a follow-up question, I understand that とおして…する is normally paired with を like ~を通して but in the earlier tweet, は is used instead which threw me off a little, can we use は with 通して or this is just a one-off quirk? – Arcoirs May 29 at 19:19
  • @Arcoirs, on the を vs. は, part of your question, maybe this will be helpful: japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/49081/… And if after reading that it's still unclear, maybe it would be better to post a new question on this topic. – Nanigashi May 29 at 21:33
  • @Nanigashi I understand the difference between を vs. は as particles but I am unsure of は being used in the context ~を通して since I thought that を is necessary with ~を通して. I will post it as a separate question, thanks for your help (alongside with Earthliŋ♦) – Arcoirs May 30 at 20:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.