I saw it on a prep book and there says the meaning is to waste time and money, but I don't understand how.

馬鹿を見る is a common idiom, but different sources provide different definitions to it...

• to feel like an idiot; to make a fool of yourself​ (jisho.org)
  • つまらない目にあう。ばかばかしい思いをする。ばかな目にあう。(デジタル大辞泉)
  • to waste time and money (your prep book)

I feel these definitions are not wrong, but insufficient. The basic meaning of this idiom is "to be insufficiently rewarded (for one's effort/honesty)", "to feel unappreciated", "to feel like a fool because something ended up with nothing", etc. Depending on the context, "to be left holding the bag" or "to draw the short straw" might be a valid translation, too. 正直者が馬鹿を見る is a common proverb meaning "Honesty doesn't pay."

自分 is "oneself" and can refer to anyone (I, you, he, etc) depending on the context. だけ is "only/just". Therefore 自分だけ馬鹿を見る means something along the lines of "Only myself/yourself/etc will be unrewarded/unappreciated".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.