I think the title is self-explanatory.

I've been wondering how to combine the desiderative (たい) and the conditional (えば/たら). For example, if I want to say "Excuse me, what should I do if I want to smoke here", it thought it would translate to "失礼{しつれい}ですがここでたばこを吸{す}いたければどうしたらいいですか", however I'm not sure whether that's correct or not. Also, if possible, could someone also provide a few examples of how to use both たい+えば and たい+たら so I could grasp the difference and meaning properly? Thank you in advance.

You're correct except it's たければ and たかったら. – broccoli forest May 24 at 4:43
    FWIW, the volitional is generally the label used for the //oː// ending, as in たべよう or いこう. See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…. The たい ending is more commonly called the desiderative. See the table in en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Japanese_verbs#Inflected_forms. – Eiríkr Útlendi May 24 at 5:56
    That's a weird statement. "What should I do to smoke here?" Does this involve illegal drugs? What's wrong with just saying ここで吸ってもいいですか? – Fireheart251 May 24 at 18:21
  • @broccoliforest yeah I wrote え instead of れ by accident. Also, thank you very much. – Milici May 24 at 20:30
  • @EiríkrÚtlendi Thank you very much, I'll make sure I check them out. – Milici May 24 at 20:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.