I received the following to interpret and report in normal scientific notation. I am having trouble understanding it, and have been told that it is translated from Japanese.

aa Normal condition Max 3.0 x 10 raised to the power of 6 and negative

bb Special condition Max 1.0 x 10 raised to the power of 5 and negative

I do not know how the Japanese language orders and structures scientific notation and mathematics. I specifically struggling with the "and negative" component. Where does the negative go?

Edit: For context, it relates to the CFU (colony forming units) count for coliforms on a product. I, unfortunately, do not have access to the full Japanese text or the translated text. It forms part of confidential company information.

A good translation would have converted the notation to the western style – ratchet freak May 23 at 12:27
    What are the numbers measuring? Can you not tell from the context whether it should be a very small positive number or a very large negative number? – user3856370 May 23 at 14:09
  • As with many things in life, context can be key. If you edit your post to include more of the context, someone here might be able to help you better. – Eiríkr Útlendi May 23 at 17:14
    Using E-notation, it may be meant to be either 3.0E-6 (0.0000030) or -3.0E6 (-3000000), but I'm not sure. – naruto May 23 at 18:28
    It is difficult to infer the original structure from this text (unlike some cases where we can 'see' the Japanese from the English version) and we don't generally spell out the power notation in texts. If you can find the original Japanese version we'd be of help, but.. – Yosh May 24 at 3:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.