In this anime trailer the protagonist say this sentence:

正々堂々勝負して、あ、みやがれってんだ!

I can't figure out the meaning... Is maybe something like "Fight like a man!" or "Don't play rough!"?

PS: here the context scene.

So do you already know what 正々堂々 is? And do you understand what this あ is doing? – naruto May 22 at 15:33
  • No. I was not sure about its meaning. – Daroro814 May 22 at 16:15
  • I mean, its literally meaning is "Do victory or defeat in fair and square way". It sound a little bit strange for me. "あ、みやがれってんだ" I suppose that Galo is saying something like " [...] because you seems poor to me/you make me laugh". – Daroro814 May 22 at 16:23
  • Next time please try to explain your problem in more detail. The full translation attempt will greatly help to make a sufficient answer. The true source of your confusion often exists outside of what you're asking about. – naruto May 22 at 21:40
  • Sorry but... VVayfarer understood without problems my question. So, It was done correctly. – Daroro814 May 23 at 17:07

"Fight like a man!" is more or less exactly what it means in this context.

More generally, it could mean something to the effect of "fight/play fair and square" or "fight/play without resorting to cowardly/underhanded means" etc. Here, the speaker seems to refer to the fact that the sitting guy is making the other two fight in his stead.

To break it down a bit more:

• 正々堂々 means "fair and square", "without resorting to cowardly/underhanded means". "Like a man" is a very faithful translation in this context.
  • 勝負する means "to fight", "to compete", "to play (competitively)" etc.

• ~てみやがれ! (from ~てみろ) would literally mean "try to (x)!" or "how about you (x)!". In some contexts you would translate this, e.g.「この一撃に耐えてみやがれ」~ "(Go ahead,) try to withstand this attack." In this context, you could translate it as "Try fighting like a man!" or "How about fighting like a man!". Still, this sounds noticeably more literal (and clunky) in English.

• ~ってんだ kind of has a similar vibe as adding "(...), is what I'm saying" to the end of a statement, or starting a sentence with "I'm telling you ~". So the sentence would even more literally become something like "How about fighting like a man, is what I'm saying!" or "I'm telling you to try fighting like a man!". However, the Japanese meaning is much less literal than this / mainly modifies the nuance, so these too would normally be lost in translation.
  • and what is the みやがれってんだ ? variant of ~やがる? – kandyman May 22 at 16:26
    It’s from 正々堂々勝負してみろ → 正々堂々勝負してみやがれ(みやがる). A more literal translation would therefore be more like “Try fighting like a man!”. Or maybe “How about fighting like a man!” (but this sounds a bit off to me since in English it’s in the form of a rhetorical “question”). Then with the ~ってんだ it would become something like “I’m telling you to fight (/”try fighting”) like a man!”, but it doesn't really work (at least as well) in English. – VVayfarer May 22 at 16:36
    Oh! So it's not the "miru" of the verb "to see", but the "miru" for "try to". Mmh, now it have more sense to me. Thanks a lot! – Daroro814 May 22 at 16:44
    Ah so the ってんだ in this case is short for と言っているんだ? So we could rephrase it as 正々堂々と勝負してみろと(俺が)言っているんだ。Is that what you mean? – kandyman May 22 at 16:46
  • @kandyman In theory, kind of, but in practice, this type of usage often only modifies the nuance and doesn’t have the literal meaning of って言ってるんだ (the effect is a bit similar though), so you couldn’t really rephrase it like that. This more precisely stems from と言うのだ, although this would be even more incompatible with the context. Maybe “Fight like a man, is what I’m saying!” or something could work to convey it… or maybe not… – VVayfarer May 22 at 17:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.