In this anime trailer the protagonist say this sentence:

正々堂々勝負して、あ、みやがれってんだ!

I can't figure out the meaning... Is maybe something like "Fight like a man!" or "Don't play rough!"?

PS: here the context scene.

So do you already know what 正々堂々 is? And do you understand what this あ is doing?
    – naruto
    May 22, 2019 at 15:33
  • No. I was not sure about its meaning.
    – Daroro814
    May 22, 2019 at 16:15
  • I mean, its literally meaning is "Do victory or defeat in fair and square way". It sound a little bit strange for me. "あ、みやがれってんだ" I suppose that Galo is saying something like " [...] because you seems poor to me/you make me laugh".
    – Daroro814
    May 22, 2019 at 16:23
  • Next time please try to explain your problem in more detail. The full translation attempt will greatly help to make a sufficient answer. The true source of your confusion often exists outside of what you're asking about.
    – naruto
    May 22, 2019 at 21:40
  • Sorry but... VVayfarer understood without problems my question. So, It was done correctly.
    – Daroro814
    May 23, 2019 at 17:07

1 Answer 1

"Fight like a man!" is more or less exactly what it means in this context.

More generally, it could mean something to the effect of "fight/play fair and square" or "fight/play without resorting to cowardly/underhanded means" etc. Here, the speaker seems to refer to the fact that the sitting guy is making the other two fight in his stead.

To break it down a bit more:

• 正々堂々 means "fair and square", "without resorting to cowardly/underhanded means". "Like a man" is a very faithful translation in this context.
  • 勝負する means "to fight", "to compete", "to play (competitively)" etc.

• ~てみやがれ! (from ~てみろ) would literally mean "try to (x)!" or "how about you (x)!". In some contexts you would translate this, e.g.「この一撃に耐えてみやがれ」~ "(Go ahead,) try to withstand this attack." In this context, you could translate it as "Try fighting like a man!" or "How about fighting like a man!". Still, this sounds noticeably more literal (and clunky) in English.

• ~ってんだ kind of has a similar vibe as adding "(...), is what I'm saying" to the end of a statement, or starting a sentence with "I'm telling you ~". So the sentence would even more literally become something like "How about fighting like a man, is what I'm saying!" or "I'm telling you to try fighting like a man!". However, the Japanese meaning is much less literal than this / mainly modifies the nuance, so these too would normally be lost in translation.
  • and what is the みやがれってんだ ? variant of ~やがる?
    – kandyman
    May 22, 2019 at 16:26
    It’s from 正々堂々勝負してみろ → 正々堂々勝負してみやがれ(みやがる). A more literal translation would therefore be more like “Try fighting like a man!”. Or maybe “How about fighting like a man!” (but this sounds a bit off to me since in English it’s in the form of a rhetorical “question”). Then with the ~ってんだ it would become something like “I’m telling you to fight (/”try fighting”) like a man!”, but it doesn't really work (at least as well) in English.
    – VVayfarer
    May 22, 2019 at 16:36
    Oh! So it's not the "miru" of the verb "to see", but the "miru" for "try to". Mmh, now it have more sense to me. Thanks a lot!
    – Daroro814
    May 22, 2019 at 16:44
    Ah so the ってんだ in this case is short for と言っているんだ? So we could rephrase it as 正々堂々と勝負してみろと(俺が)言っているんだ。Is that what you mean?
    – kandyman
    May 22, 2019 at 16:46
  • @kandyman In theory, kind of, but in practice, this type of usage often only modifies the nuance and doesn’t have the literal meaning of って言ってるんだ (the effect is a bit similar though), so you couldn’t really rephrase it like that. This more precisely stems from と言うのだ, although this would be even more incompatible with the context. Maybe “Fight like a man, is what I’m saying!” or something could work to convey it… or maybe not…
    – VVayfarer
    May 22, 2019 at 17:05

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .