What does the な in the center means.Is it a particle.

I have heard that な is a copula; a variation on だ / です (more closely related to the archaic なり). Which technically would make な adjectives that modify a noun into an actual relative clause. Don't quote me on this, though. – Arthur May 23 at 12:06

The word 便利 is a so-called な-adjective. When な-adjectives directly modify a noun, な has to be added between it and the noun it's modifying (hence the name).

So, "便利な工具" means "a handy/useful tool".

As for your second question: You can call it a particle in the sense that it's a small word which serves a grammatical function, but I don't know if a linguist or grammarian would actually classify it as such.

便利{べんり} is a な-adjective, which is used to modify a noun, in this case, 工具{こうぐ}. When modifying a noun, な must be placed after な-adjectives (便利{べんり}) and before the noun it modifies(工具{こうぐ}).

The phrase 便利な工具 would translate then, to "convenient/useful tool(s)"

I am not sure if most would consider the な a particle, or simply a suffix used with な-adjectives.

Another name for this type of words is "adjectival nouns" since they behave similarly to nouns in many conjugation patterns. These are contrasted with い-adjectives or "adjectival verbs" which all end with い in the non-past, positive sense and substitute other endings in place of the い when conjugating.

• Thanks for the help – Woo Zhi Jun 6 at 22:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.