Previously, I learnt basic expressions like “アダムさんは先生です。”,”アダムさんは医者ですが。” I thought は functions like “am/is/are” in English. But when I start learning Japanese verb this morning, I got a bit confused. “ひろしさんはテレビを見ません。” what is は’s function in this sentence?

は absolutely, definitely does not mean 'am/is/are'. That role is played by です in your example sentences.

は marks the topic of the sentence i.e,

Thing I want to talk about what I want to say about it.

There is no equivalent concept in English so it causes a lot of confusion for many Japanese learners. It is commonly translated (very clumsily) as 'as for' e.g.

アダムさんは先生です
As for Adam, (he) is a teacher. = Adam is a teacher.
アダムさんは医者ですが
As for Adam, (he) is a doctor, but ... = Adam is a doctor, but ...
ひろしさんはテレビを見ません
As for Hiroshi, (he) doesn't watch television. = Hiroshi doesn't watch television.

In all these examples I'm marking the thing I want to talk about (i.e the person) with は and then saying something about them.

The topic doesn't have to be just a single noun. It can be a long and complex phrase e.g. "As for that man stood on one leg on the edge of the mountain over there he's going to fall off."

If you're learning from a resource that just teaches you phrases without teaching you the grammar properly, you're going to enter a world of pain.

Finally, here's a link that we normally send people to look at on は/が related questions. It may be a bit confusing at this stage, but it might help.

Footnote:

I wonder if アダムさんは医者です was a typo for アダムさんは医者です. The latter would obviously be "As for Adam, is (he) a doctor?" = "Is Adam a doctor?".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.