Duolingo translates "Where is the classroom for the Japanese class?" as 「日本語の授業【じゅぎょう】はどこの教室【きょうしつ】ですか?」.

I don't understand the construction 「…はどこの教室…」. My instinct would have been 「日本語の授業の教室はどこですか?」. Are both used? In what circumstances?

My first idea was that this is a の-adjective, with a literal translation of "The Japanese class has a where-ish classroom" but the 「…か?」 at the end tells me that is unlikely.

Although kanji are sometimes used, most of the time どこ is written in kana.
    – user1478
    May 19, 2019 at 19:16
  • Thank you for that tip! I've edited the post accordingly. May 19, 2019 at 23:54

1 Answer 1

Both your instinct and the Duolingo sentences are correct. The sentences can be translated a little differently, but there's no fundamental difference in meaning.

日本語の授業の教室はどこですか?
Where is the Japanese lesson classroom?

日本語の授業はどこの教室ですか?
Which classroom is for Japanese lessons?

I translated どこの教室 as 'which classroom' because that is natural English. Obviously its literal meaning is "Where's classroom", but here I think the Japanese choice of question word is more logical than the English.

I'm starting to speculate now because I'm not a native speaker, but I think that having long lists of nouns joined by の is considered bad style. I think two のs is fine but more than that starts to look clunky. So even though your sentence only has two のs maybe the Duolingo one would be slightly preferrable.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .