I found this phrase from a short manga strip.

Man: ミチ子さん その金はもしかして...
Woman: 元々はあなたの金です。どうぞお取りください。
Man: え?

Man: そういうつもりであげた金ではありません!それにこれを取ったらもうおわりってことですよね。
Woman: そうおっしゃらずに。
Man: でもボクまけちゃうんですよ。
Woman: これで終わりにしましょ。

It turns out they are playing Japanese chess.

My question is what does "そういうつもりであげた金ではありません" mean and how to use this phrase.

Thank you so so much.

[金]{かね} じゃなくて [金]{きん} だったのねww – Chocolate May 17 at 14:20

そういうつもりであげた[金]{かね}ではありません!

You'd read the 金 as かね, "money", before you know they're playing 将棋. So you'd read this line as "I didn't mean that / It was not my intention when I gave you the money"... probably like 「別れるときに返してもらうつもりであげたお金ではありません。」 or even "I didn't give you the money for dating me", perhaps..

And you'd interpret:

それにこれを取ったらもう終わりってことですよね。

implies their relationship will end if he gets the money back.

Aand... it turns out they're playing 将棋. Then you realise that the 金 was きん, 金将 (gold general), and these lines actually meant:

そういうつもりであげた[金]{きん}ではありません!
それにこれを取ったらもう終わりってことですよね。

"I didn't mean/intend that when I gave you the 金将.
Also, if I get the 金将 back, the game will be over." (← The man loses the game)

• Thank you so much Chocolate san. That's a very clear explanation. – user348715 May 18 at 5:41
  • 別れるときに返してもらうつもりであげたお金ではありません。」this means i didn't intend to give you the money to get it returned when we break up? – user348715 May 18 at 5:45
  • @user348715 そうですね。。 yes, I think so. (Sorry I wasn't sure how to say it in English..) I think it's literally like "I didn't give you the money with the intention of getting it returned when we break up" – Chocolate May 19 at 16:27
  • Thanks again Chacolate san – user348715 May 21 at 6:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.