So, I have an exercise which has 3 sets of sentences. The 1st one is supposed to be translated using ことになる, the 2nd - using ことになった, and the 3rd - ことになっている. The construction itself is pretty understandable. It means that something was decided not by a speaker, but by circumstances or by somebody else. I get it and there's nothing difficult but... let me show you 3 sentences, 1 from each set so you could get the idea:

1 The time difference between Moscow and Tokyo is 6 hours which means that it's now 11 p.m. in Tokyo.

2 It was decided that we all go to Kyoto.

3 Classes last until 2 p.m.

2 and 3 are easy to translate but I can't understand how to translate the 1st one

1 -------

2 私達は京都で会うことになった。

3 授業が午後2時までつづくことになっている。

For the translation of sentence number 2, in its current state, the statement itself may be true (It sounds like "It has been predetermined: we will meet at Kyoto."), but since the trip was decided in the past, the translation should have「~へ行くことになった」or something similar.

In sentence number 1, the "which means that" is the part that corresponds to「~ということになる」. In this way,「~ことになる」is also used to indicate a logical conclusion. Here it's used in a related manner.

• wait, so I can add 「という」and then go for the aforementioned construction? didn't know that. will check the link, thank you! – Tawahachee May 16 at 10:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.