how do you form informal questions with 何 and without ですか? would 何 just go at the end?

「あなたの大好きな季節何?」

and is it appropriate to leave off です or だ with な adjectives and nouns? i’ve seen 〜なの?used, but i’m not quite sure what the rules are on that.

「これは食べものなの?」 vs 「これはたべもの?」

basically i’d like some guidelines on informal questions in japanese! i keep struggling on what sounds normal because i don’t want to be overly formal and use ですか?all the time!

There are a lot of ways you could go with this. Informal language tends to be a bit different between males and females, for one. In your first example,「好きな季節は?」or「どの季節が一番好き(だ、なんだ、なの)?」would work. Here, だ is more masculine-ish, なんだ is also somewhat masculine-ish and softer, なの is feminine-ish. You also probably wouldn't want to use 大好き here, since you presumably don't know if the other person has a season they like that much. It is possible to say e.g.「僕の大好きな季節はな~んだ?さあ、当ててみて」though.

「これ、食べもんなの?」,「これは食べ物なのか?」,「これは食べ物か?」are all pretty normal ways to ask the question.「これって、食べられるの?」「これ、食べられるか?」are similar ways to ask the same question (well, they literally mean "is this edible?" though).「これはたべもの?」can certainly work (it can sound cute/funny), but if you don't want to sound like a foreigner you probably don't want to use it.

For some formal → informal examples:

「どこへ行きましょうか?」 → 「どこへ行こうか?」 ⇔ 「どこ行こうか?」

「何をしているんですか?」 → 「何をしてる(の)?」 ⇔ 「何してんの?」

「それ、やめてくれませんか?」 → 「それ、やめてくれる?」

「どうですか?」 → 「どう?」

「これでいいですか?」 → 「これでいい?」

• thank you so much for this long and detailed answer! it means a lot. i have a few follow-up questions though. why is the format for confirming nouns な and の?what is the purpose of adding な?and is の in 「これ、食べもんなの?」feminine or just an informal particle? – jacoballens May 15 at 22:58
    The の is "feminine-ish" in that males do use it (pretty often really), but it's used more often by females because males often prefer some other form in informal contexts. Also, the な is required before の because 食べ物 is a noun. If you said これは食べ物の?it would literally mean "Is this something of (that belongs/attributes to) food?" – VVayfarer May 16 at 5:58
    The なのか?on the other hand is more masculine(-ish). And の -ending can be used (somewhat) more politely with です too, e.g. as in なんですの? This is quite feminine (and lady-like), while a neutral version would be なんですか?which is just a shorter version of なのですか? – VVayfarer May 16 at 6:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.