When speaking to a couple, I had difficulties referring to them collectively, as I try to express "both of you".

What is the best way to refer to the both of them, instead of 「A」さんと「B」さん? Would ふたりは 東京に いきましたか be a good expression to ask, "Have the both of you been to Tokyo?"

Also, how to I express "they/them", as in "that group of people (over there)"? あそこの人達?

(PS: Moderators, please help to improve the title and edit this post to make it more general and beneficial.)


Yes, you can use 二人{ふたり} to refer to them. You would use this like:


If you want to be more polite, お二人、お二人さん would also work, while for keigo, お二方{ふたかた} is more appropriate.

To refer to a group of people as "That group (over there)", あの人{ひと}たち, あちらの人たち etc would be pretty standard, whereas あの方々{かたがた}, あちらの方々 etc would be more polite / keigo-compatible.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.