I am looking for any difference in terms of nuance, usage or frequent collocations so I can tell in what situation I should use one instead of the other.

On the other hand, if the case is that the choice is only a matter of style or personal preference, it would be nice to know as well.

Thank you.

This is a bit hard to explain by definition, but there is certainly a significant difference in usage.

At the start of a sentence, 「それに、」 is used generally like "also, " and "besides, " would. Starting a sentence with 「他に、」 would be appropriate in more specific circumstances, like "other than those, (there is) also (...)".

Within a sentence, それに would be used as in

「あの人{ひと}がそれに関{かか}わっていたという証拠{しょうこ}はない」

I.e. "There is no proof he/she was involved in that". On the other hand, in the middle of a sentence, 他に would indeed used as "besides (x)", as pointed out in a comment. E.g.

「私達{わたしたち}の他{ほか}に誰{だれ}かいたか?」

"Was there someone else there, besides us?"

whereas

「私達{わたしたち}のそれに、誰{だれ}かいたか?」

would mean something like "Was there someone in 'that thing of ours'?", and even then it would be grammatically suspect.

• 「貴方【あなた】の友達【ともだち】の他【ほか】に誰【だれ】か来【き】ますか。(Is anyone coming besides your friends?). I guess we couldn't say 「貴方【あなた】の友達【ともだち】のそれに誰【だれ】か来【き】ますか。」, could we? If I understood correctly, 他に is used when adding contrast with an object of the same sentence, while それに is used to add more information or add a while new sentence? – jarmanso7 May 12 at 15:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.