Been reading more japanese material lately and ran into this dialogue.

Person 1:ホント毎週転がり込んで...

Person 2:まーたそんな水臭いこと!そんな気遣うヒマあったら恋バナの一つでも持って来いっての!

For context 2 people are drinking beer at home. Person 1 is the nephew of person 2.

I can pretty much understand "まーたそんな水臭いこと!" and "ホント毎週転がり込んで". The final line is what stumps me. As a far I know, "そんな気遣うヒマあったら" translates to "if you have the time to worry about that, then..."

Does the "恋バナの一つでも持って来いっての!" translate to "gossip with me?" or "share a love story or two" or something?

Presumably the nephew is trying to apologize for barging in on Person 2:s home so frequently. Person 2 is saying "You don't have to worry about that, silly. But if you really want to pay back, find yourself a girlfriend and let me hear all about it after you do" or something to that effect. As such, it seems likely that Person 2 is a 'nice person' who is basically telling Person 1 "All that matters to me is that you find happiness in your life" in a roundabout way.

It is possible that Person 2 is simply interested in gossip in general, though. Still, since Person 1 is their nephew, I would assume they are referring to their nephew's personal life and that the context is as I conjectured above.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.