I've gathered that と思う means to think about but isn't it a little redundant to add the みたい?

彼らに聞いてみたいと思います。

The みたい adds the sense of looking like or seeming but so does 思う so I don't quite understand the combination! Any thoughts?

• i appreciate the edit but i always type in lowercase online hahaha :)) – jacoballens May 13 '19 at 1:35

You've gotten the みたい part wrong. What you are seeing is a subsidiary verb (~て)みる, which means "to try doing something (and see what happens)". See: What is the difference between "verb+て+みる" and "verb+(よ)う+とする"? みたい meaning "to seem / look like" never follows a te-form.

• 聞く "to ask"
  • 聞いてみる "to try asking"
  • 聞いてみたい "to want to try asking"

彼らに聞いてみたいと思います。
(very literally) I think I want to try asking them.
I think I'm going to ask them (and see if that can solve our problem).

You may be still wondering if ~たい and と思う are similar and thus redundant, but it's a common way to say one's plan or wish. See: 〜たいと思う -- What does this mean? and Different ways to show intention to do something

| improve this answer | |
  • oh, i didn’t know that about みる. i’ll have to look out for that!!! thank you so much, this helps a bunch 👍🏻 – jacoballens May 12 '19 at 6:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.