I don't understand the function of と when used with と続きます

From this sentence in my textbook:

1. 世界で一番インスタントラーメンをたくさん食べる国は中国で451.7億食、その次はインドネシアの137.0億食、日本の51.0億食、アメリカの43.2億食、ベトナムの39.1億食、韓国の33.4億食続きます。

I also found another similar sentence online:

1. トップのリーダーは犬の行動学では「アルファ」と呼ばれ、以下「ベータ」「ガンマ」続きます。

When referring to these resources, I'm not sure under which meaning と takes:

デジタル大辞泉

How is と used in these sentences?

If I had to guess, maybe it's used as a defining/quoting particle?

(文や句をそのまま受けて)動作・作用・状態の内容を表す。引用の「と」。「正しい―いう結論に達する」

If so, I'm not sure how it fits in to the definition above.

What function does と take in these sentences?

Related: japanese.stackexchange.com/q/63297/5010 – naruto May 11 at 4:57
  • @naruto Reading the answer to the post you linked, I'm leaning towards the 2. definition for sentence 1. But according to this post:japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/31099/… と cannot be used with concrete numbers. My sentence has concrete numbers, so I feel like it's not appropriate there. It cannot take the 1. definition because 続く is a verb and not an adjective. I also feel like it doesn't make sense with 3. because it's not a negative sentence. – shade549 May 11 at 7:12
  • Right, none of them are dupe of this, although the first one is very close to this one. I just wanted to say the quotative-と has many usages. – naruto May 11 at 12:08

This と before 続く is a "friend" of quotative-と. If I have to choose one, it corresponds to this definition of デジタル大辞泉.

1. (文や句をそのまま受けて)動作・作用・状態の内容を表す。引用の「と」。

It says と can broadly mark "the content of an action/effect/state". The well-known quotative-と is actually a subset of this type of と. I don't know how this is usually taught to Japanese learners, but in my own words, this type of と is a "content descriptor" or "concrete-description-to".

Here are some examples of such atypical, "quotative-like" と:

• ピアノでドレミファソ弾いた。
  • ゲームパッドで「上、下、左、右、B、A」押してください。
  • このドレスは19,800円かなり安い。(see this question, too)
  • 彼は縞模様のシャツにリュックサック典型的なオタクの格好だ。
  • 1時間、2時間待ったが誰も来なかった。
  • 今朝はパン、オムレツ、サラダ、牛乳たくさん食べた。
  • 最近はブルー、ピンク、ゴールド様々な色のiPhoneが売られている。
  • 彼は3月、5月、9月中国に旅行した。

As you can see, と appears when you describe a verb/adjective using either a concrete number or a concrete sequence/list of items. It's somewhat akin to English "like" or "namely". You may find this と more or less similar to と used to form adverbs from onomatopoeias and some descriptive nouns (e.g, キラキラと, 堂々と, ...).

• Thanks for the examples! I couldn't find any resources explaining this と in detail, its not taught to Japanese learners as far as I know. Just to clarify, does Xと続くtranslate to "X and so on" or "followed by X"? と describes the contents of 続く correct? Are と and をsometimes interchangeable e.g. チキンと食べた/チキンを食べた – shade549 May 12 at 0:29
    @shade549 "X, Y, Zと続く" is like "it (=the list) continues like X, Y, Z." As you can see, this と is often used with a list that concretely describes the details of an action/state. チキンと食べた in isolation sounds fairly weird to me. – naruto May 12 at 5:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.