how common is it for there to be sentences like 「私、死んでるよ!」or 「これ、怖い」? is it super informal? any guidelines on when to speak like this?

I certainly would be 怖い is some one said 私、死んでるよ – user3856370 May 7 at 21:00
    @jacoballens Do you think 私、死んでるよ means 'I'm dying'? It actually means 'I'm dead'. – Aeon Akechi May 8 at 0:36
  • i actually did think that hahaha. how would you say “i’m dying” then? – jacoballens May 8 at 10:01

Omission of は/を (and sometimes に) is ubiquitous in casual conversations, including not-so-serious business conversations with your colleagues.

• これ何?
  • ペン貸して。
  • お昼食べました?
  • どこ行く?

But if you think naturalness is important, note that something like 私 is usually also omitted along with は.

• 死んでる! He's/She's/I'm dead! (after you found someone was dead, or after you woke up to find yourself transformed into a zombie/ghost)
  • I guess it doesn't really change the meaning so much but would you say を or に was omitted from お昼食べました? – user3856370 May 8 at 6:01
    @user3856370 This お昼 means "lunch", so を has been omitted. – naruto May 8 at 7:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.