I'm to conjugate 注意する and associate it with either of "てあげる", "てくれる" and ”てもらう" in the following sentence:

隣の人がうるさくて眠れないので、大家さんから静かにするように(注意する)_____ことにしました。

I picked "注意してもらう", which gives this, and which I translate as follows:

隣の人がうるさくて眠れないので、大家さんから静かにするように注意してもらうことにしました。

My neighbour is noisy and I cannot get to sleep, so I decided to get my landlord to ask them to be quiet.

Are my choice and my translation correct?

1 Answer 1

Your proposition seems good to me:

隣の人がうるさくて眠れないので、大家さんから静かにするように注意してもらうことにしました。

Using てあげる, would have meant "to tell my landlord to be careful":

隣の人がうるさくて眠れないので、大家さんから静かにするように注意してあげることにしました。

Using てくれる doesn't quiet fit, though it semanticaly sounds close to てもらう.

"to tell my landlord to be careful": 大家さんから静かにするように注意してあげる <-- That would be 「大家さんに注意するように言う」(maybe you meant to write 大家さん静かにするように注意してあげる, "I'll tell the landlord to be quiet "). 大家さんから静かにするように注意してあげる doesn't really make sense, I'm afraid..
    – chocolate
    May 6, 2019 at 3:37
  • @Chocolate rereading the phrase, I'm not really happy with it. It sounds almost right but though is kind of meaning less. I guess it's because only てもらう fits.
    – Daishi
    May 6, 2019 at 14:15
  • One of the downvotes have no explanation. Speechless downvoter, please explain why you down voted. Otherwise, your action is pretty useless. Thx
    – Daishi
    May 6, 2019 at 14:16
    One of the downvotes have no explanation. <-- およよ? 私、ダウンボートしてないです。。。(アップボートもしてないけど)
    – chocolate
    May 6, 2019 at 15:16
    大家さんから静かにするように注意してあげる is not grammatically correct: あげる is used with , but not with から - you cannot say To give from (except in extremely contrived sentences, which is the same in Japanese I guess)
    – Right leg
    May 6, 2019 at 17:16

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .