I'm to conjugate 注意する and associate it with either of "てあげる", "てくれる" and ”てもらう" in the following sentence:

隣の人がうるさくて眠れないので、大家さんから静かにするように(注意する)_____ことにしました。

I picked "注意してもらう", which gives this, and which I translate as follows:

隣の人がうるさくて眠れないので、大家さんから静かにするように注意してもらうことにしました。

My neighbour is noisy and I cannot get to sleep, so I decided to get my landlord to ask them to be quiet.

Are my choice and my translation correct?

Your proposition seems good to me:

隣の人がうるさくて眠れないので、大家さんから静かにするように注意してもらうことにしました。

Using てあげる, would have meant "to tell my landlord to be careful":

隣の人がうるさくて眠れないので、大家さんから静かにするように注意してあげることにしました。

Using てくれる doesn't quiet fit, though it semanticaly sounds close to てもらう.

"to tell my landlord to be careful": 大家さんから静かにするように注意してあげる <-- That would be 「大家さんに注意するように言う」(maybe you meant to write 大家さん静かにするように注意してあげる, "I'll tell the landlord to be quiet "). 大家さんから静かにするように注意してあげる doesn't really make sense, I'm afraid.. – Chocolate May 6 at 3:37
  • @Chocolate rereading the phrase, I'm not really happy with it. It sounds almost right but though is kind of meaning less. I guess it's because only てもらう fits. – Daishi May 6 at 14:15
  • One of the downvotes have no explanation. Speechless downvoter, please explain why you down voted. Otherwise, your action is pretty useless. Thx – Daishi May 6 at 14:16
    One of the downvotes have no explanation. <-- およよ? 私、ダウンボートしてないです。。。(アップボートもしてないけど) – Chocolate May 6 at 15:16
    大家さんから静かにするように注意してあげる is not grammatically correct: あげる is used with , but not with から - you cannot say To give from (except in extremely contrived sentences, which is the same in Japanese I guess) – Right leg May 6 at 17:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.