This is the whole phrase and the sentence I don't understand is in bold:

そして、コルド大王の息子で
悪の帝王と呼ばれるフリーザは
千年に一度あらわれるという
「超サイア人」のウワサを不快に思い、
サイア人を、 彼らが住む惑星ベジータごと
宇宙から消滅させてしまうーーーー。

So "消滅させて" being passive and "サイア人" is the direct object, then "彼らが住む惑星ベジータごと" it's a clause that explain what the Sayajins are/were. ごと could be a nominalizing suffix like:

As to Furiza (...) the sayajins, they who living in the Vejita planet, were sadly extinguished from the universe (by Furiza?).

I don't undestand what they are using the dictionary form for 住む、 and if it's referring to "彼ら", the sayayins or modifying "惑星ベジータ", and i dont understand the use of ごと here.

Thanks form your help.

• By the way, "消滅させて" is causative, not passive. And "〜てしまう" probably carries the sense of "do completely", and not "sadly/by mistake" here. – Milten May 6 '19 at 14:54

彼らが住む modifies 惑星, so 彼らが住む惑星 means "the planet they lived on." The suffix ごと means "as well as," "together with," "along with," or "and all" (as リンゴを皮ごと食べる – "eat an apple, peel and all"). Here, ごと is used to stress that this character "Freezer" didn't just destroy the Saiyan people, but their whole planet.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.