According to my textbook, verb and i-adjective sentences can be chained with the 連用中止【れんようちゅうし】 form like this:

enter image description here

Later on, I came across this exercise where I'm required to replace the adjectives' endings by the corresponding 連用中止. But I do not know how to turn 静かで into 連用中止 in the following sentence:

enter image description here

北海道【ほっかいどう】の7月の海は、深【ふか】く、青【あお】く、静【しず】か ___、絵のように美しかった。

Is this feasible? What about sentences that end with a noun?

Thank you very much

No, you cannot omit で after 静か. As your textbook clearly says, this grammar is about verbs and i-adjectives.

北海道の7月の海は、深く、青く、静か、絵のように美しかった。

See: いAdjective. difference between くて and く

EDIT: You can also use copula-like である and say "深く、青く、静かであり、絵のように美しかった", too.

You may see two na-adjectives connected without a particle ("簡単、便利なチャットアプリ" instead of "簡単で便利なチャットアプリ"), but this is another story.

• I see. My intent typing 静か____ was not to ask whether I can omit で or not, but to ask if I can place something there ____ that works similarly for the case of なadjectives. Maybe something along the lines of 「…青く、静かであり、絵のように美しかった」? I am not sure if your answer just points out that omitting で is not possible or you actually want to say that 静かで is the only possible option. Thank you. – jarmanso7 May 5 at 20:55
  • I'm not a native speaker, but 静かであり sounds completely unnatural to me in this context. Also, note that what you are suggesting would involve substituting a shorter, simpler form for 深くて and 青くて, while substituting a longer, more complex form for 静かで. In that sense, you'd be making the terms less parallel, rather than more so. – Nanigashi May 5 at 21:14
  • Please take a look to this entry and this answer. Thank you for your thoughts on this. – jarmanso7 May 5 at 21:19
  • Hmm, what do you mean with less parallel? I mean, to me くて、くて sounds more natural than く、く、 just because I'm used to the former construction, but at the end, both are valid. I don't see why it should'nt be the case with で and であり (provided both are valid, which I'm not sure). – jarmanso7 May 5 at 21:24
    である conjugates like a verb, and "深く、青く、静かであり" sounds completely natural to me. It's stiffer and more bookish than "深くて、青くて、静かで". – naruto May 5 at 22:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.