Excuse my seemingly dumb question. I was reading a fan comment: (please feel free to read just the first paragraph, i just put the rest for some context but it may not be necessary)

第40話では、「わけがわからない『好き』」を侑も求めていたのに、 
燈子はそれを知っているなんて「ずるい」と侑はこぼす。 

かつての侑にとって、「好き」、「誰かを特別に思う気持ち」は、どこかから降ってくるものだった。 
まるでそう、このコマで描かれている流れ星のように。 
だからこそ、侑にとっての「好き」は手の届かない「星」としてずっと表現されてきた。 

でも、それは違った、と侑は話す。 
「わたしの『好き』は」「自分で選んで手を伸ばすものだったよ」。 
そして侑は、何度も、何度も燈子を選んできたことを話す。 
「先輩がたくさん好きって言ってくれたから、選べた」と。 

The わけがわからない in 「わけが わからない『好き』」 here seems to be describing 『好き』. I know わけがわからない is a set phrase to mean "I don't understand the reason of this", "nonsense" but I haven't found something in Japanese online dictionaries of an use like this one. In this context, I understand it as "unreasonable" love, or love "that happens without a reason". Is it correct? Can it be used as an adj.?

You can generally use verbs like adjectives in Japanese, like in 「わからない文章」. 訳が分からない is no exception, although 「訳分からない」 may sound more natural in some sentences.

Edit: A similar example can be found here, where 訳の分からない事を言う人 is used.

Is there a meaningful difference between 訳が分からない and 訳の分からない in particular contexts? – Romy Garrido May 4 at 14:21
    No difference in meaning afaik, but の is more commonly used in cases like this. I think it is almost only used in this kind of adjectivial sentence. Other examples: 「天気の悪い日」「センスのない男」and so on. Using が in these sentences is not wrong at all though, and you will probably also commonly come across it. – derpda May 4 at 23:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.