In the sentence 「なんて優しいんでしょう!」what is the purpose of adding んでしょう?

To improve the question, tell us what you already know about んでしょう and why that doesn't seem to work in this example. I have to admit that it confuses me too. – user3856370 May 3 at 7:04
  • what i’ve learned is that でしょう is like a question tag and んです/んだ is for stating your reasoning? but i don’t understand the link between them here haha – jacoballens May 3 at 12:48
  • We might need more context to answer this fully, but, なんて marks the negative tone, and the use of ん with でしょう makes me think that this person is responding to, say, too rough a touch, where this could be "I said gentle(r)!". That said, could you please provide more info about the source? Maybe some additional context sentences around this? – psosuna May 3 at 22:57
  • it was an example sentence on wordreference.com actually, hahaha. so really no context to provide :( – jacoballens May 4 at 2:07

Before addressing んでしょう, it bears noting that

なんてX{の/なの}でしょう!

is itself a common phrase pattern used to express surprise or admiration of something, where X can be an i-adjective (e.g. かわいい), a na-adjective (e.g. きれい), or a noun phrase (e.g. 素敵なお方). Examples of how this might translate to English are exclamatory phrases like "How exciting!" or "What a beautiful view!"

Some additional examples:

なんて素晴らしいのでしょう!
How wonderful!

なんて失礼なのでしょう!
How rude!

なんて気が利く人なのでしょう!
What a thoughtful person!

Given the above, 「なんて優しいんでしょう!」 would translate to "How kind!"

With that established, let's break down 「なんて優しいんでしょう!」, and for convenience of explanation let's normalize the ん to の:

なんて優しいのでしょう!

なんて is an adverb that expresses feelings of surprise/shock or admiration. 優しい is an i-adjective, the extent of which is being admired in this utterance.

Now we come to のでしょう. This is the [declarative/explanatory の] + [でしょう functioning as an expresser of emotion (since it accompanies なんて, a 感動を表す語; see the following excerpt from 明鏡国語辞典)]:

でしょ‐・う
連語〔「だろう」の丁寧語〕
➎《疑問や感動を表す語を伴って》反語や感動を表す。
「だれが信じてくれる━か」
「何と魅惑的な人━」

Quick English translation of the above:

でしょ‐・う
collocation (of でしょ (mizenkei of です) + う) [polite form of だろう]
5. (when accompanying language that expresses questioning/doubt or emotion) serves as an indicator of a rhetorical question or expresses emotion

「だれが信じてくれるでしょうか」
 "Who would believe me?" / "Who would believe that?"

「何と魅惑的な人でしょう」
 "What an enchanting person!"

So the の emphasizes the declaration, followed by でしょう which serves to augment the emotion expressed by this exclamatory phrase.

+1 I never new that definition of でしょう. It would be good if you could add a translation of the dictionary entry you quote. – user3856370 May 5 at 15:39
  • @user3856370 Good idea -- added a quick translation of the entry just now. – Setris May 5 at 22:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.