First time asking something here, so I hope it goes down well. I have a difficult time with と in this sentence.

錬金術師らの間でも 神への冒涜暗黙のうちに禁じられていると聞きますし

The first part is easy. Even among alchemists, blasphemy to God... と is tacitly forbidden, I hear.

What I am thinking is that it might be a quotation. As in 「神への冒涜」と is being forbidden. と in this case would specify what is tacitly forbidden.

Is it just that or does it have another meaning that I am missing.

EXTRA POINTS: 暗黙 means tacit and the のうちに makes it tacitly. But usually (の)うちに means while; during; as when coupled with a noun. So is 暗黙のうちに just a common expression or is there more to うちに that meets the eye.

Thank you in advance for helping me out.

「錬金術師{れんきんじゅつし}らの間{あいだ}でも 神{かみ}への冒涜{ぼうとく}(#1) 暗黙{あんもく}のうちに禁{きん}じられている(#2)聞{き}きますし」

The first 「と」 is not quotative. The second 「と」 is.

In the phrase 「冒涜と禁じられている」, the 「と」means 「として」 ("as"). It describes in what specific way the action/state of 「禁じられている」 is performed (and maintained). In this context, that specific way is "as a blasphemy".

「禁じる」 is just not an action that can take the quotative 「と」. The ones that can are 「言う」、「聞く」、「呼ぶ」、「思う」、「考える」、「感じる」, etc.

Perhaps the most common phrase that uses this type of non-quotative 「と」 would be 「~~ を師{し}仰{あお}ぐ」, which means "to look up to ~~ as one's preceptor".

Finally, regarding 「~~ のうちに」, @Chocolate has posted good links above, so I will not discuss it here.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.