These are all translated as "idea" in English.

But I don't understand which context I should use each one in.

If I had to guess:

考え means an imagining of a solution or an understanding of something,

アイデア is the same as 考え

発想 means an idea that quickly came to mind

着想 not sure about this one, but i imagine it's similar to 発想

Can someone please explain the nuances?

• アイデア/アイディア: Idea in the sense of solution. Unlike English idea which has various meanings, アイデア in Japanese primarily refers to a concrete idea that can solve a certain problem.
  • 考え: It's often interchangeable with アイデア, but it has a broader meaning. 考え can also refer to someone's thoughts or opinions in general.
  • 発想: Rather than an idea itself, this tends to focus on the process of coming up with an new idea. Thus, you can say ~を発想する but not 発想がある. For example, brainstorming is a method of 発想. It can also refers to an overall tendency of thinking or seeing things. 子供らしい発想 refers to a childlike, flexible way of thinking things.
  • 着想: This is used only when you start a new project (business, research work, artistic work, etc). It's close to inspiration. For example, if you created a song after seeing a beautiful moon, you can say 美しい月を見てこの曲を着想した or 美しい月から着想を得てこの曲を作った.
  • +1, though I wonder if the usage 「その発想はなかった」 is an exception... – Darius Jahandarie May 2 at 19:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.