I am a bit confused as to what is being referred to by やり過ぎてる, is the speaker referring to his actions as being やり過ぎ or to her actions? I am also a bit confused why the てる form is used instead of た.

天衣さんに言われた、というのもあったけれどあの後、夜になって鼎さんの仕事の様子を見に行った。そしてまあ、どうなったかというと攻められた。そうやって目を逸らすのはどうか、と言ったら普段より酷い事になったのだ。やり過ぎてるってのは分かってるんだけどな。

• Can you provide more context? – Tchang Apr 29 at 23:46
    Are you aware that ~てる is a shortened form of ~ている ? – Chocolate Apr 30 at 5:34

There is not enough context, but the subject of やり過ぎる is probably the speaker (俺/僕/私). Probably the sentence is saying "(In order to solve the problem,) I know I'm doing too much (and asking for trouble)" or "Well, I am aware I'm doing something I'm not supposed to do (but I cannot help it)". I guess the speaker is trying to solve some big trouble, and visiting 鼎 was a part of his effort. This explains why he used the progressive やり過ぎてる (short for やり過ぎている) instead of やり過ぎた.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.