What does ビアホール仕立ての黒 on Asahi Dry Black means? Specifically 仕立て(sewing?) and ビアホール(via hole?). I tried searching it on japanese web, but it's kinda assumed as common knowledge and never mentioned besides sites about beers.

hi

ビアホール(via hole) <-- beer hall じゃないの...? 😲 – Chocolate Apr 29 at 1:54

「[Noun] + 仕立{じた}て」

means:

"made in the [Noun] style"

「ビアホール」 is an establishment where people gather for the main purpose of drinking draft beer in huge beer mugs.

When I first saw your question, I was going to say that 「ビアホール」 was a 和製英語{わせいえいご} (= "an English word created by the Japanese"), but I have found this place in the U.S., so I am not so sure:

https://www.kochanskisconcertina.com/

In any case, 「ホール」 comes from "hall" and certainly not "hole". Another word you will eventually need to know is 「ビアガーデン」.

「黒{くろ}」

in this context, means:

"dark beer"

So, the whole phrase means:

"Dark Beer Brewed in the Beer Hall Style"

• thing that threw me off was that "beer" in japanese would be ビール and not ビア. Thanks a lot! – rino Apr 29 at 7:00
    Yeah, when I sounded out ビアホール, it made me think of the German Bierhalle (and Biergarten - beer gardens), which makes sense as a possible origin of the phrase/word in Japanese. – purplecat Apr 29 at 18:21
    When we say "beer" by itself as a drink name, we say ビール, but we say ビアホール、ビアガーデン, etc. Strange as it may seem, you would sound fairly weird if you said or wrote ビールホール or ビールガーデン. – l'électeur 2 days ago

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.