As it says in the title, I'm hoping to find out where the adjective ending -っぱい comes from (like in 酸っぱい 'sour'). Is it related to -っぽい (X-like, X-ish) at all? I can't seem to find an etymology for it if there is one known, but I really only have access to free resources like wiktionary and anything I can find on a google search and isn't behind a paywall, and that hasn't brought up anything.

From what I can find, the ~っぱい ending is peculiar to two words: しょっぱい and すっぱい.

Shogakukan's 国語大辞典 and Daijirin both suggest that the ~っぱい ending for しょっぱい is a shift from 映【は】ゆし ("blindingly bright"; as an auxiliary element, "to appear XX; to be conspicuously XX"). Digging around, I also found Shogakakun(https://kotobank.jp/word/%E9%B9%B9%E6%98%A0%E3%82%86%E3%81%84-516930#E3.83.87.E3.82.B8.E3.82.BF.E3.83.AB.E5.A4.A7.E8.BE.9E.E6.B3.89), Daijirin, and Daijisen entries for 鹹【しおはゆ】い, which appear to corroborate this derivation.

Separately, I suspect that the more-common ~っぽい suffix may also derive from this same 映【は】ゆし, although I cannot currently find any Japanese source that says anything more than simply that っぽい is from ぽい, and that ぽい is a suffix essentially meaning -ish, -like.

• Oddly, I easily found one possible etymology for っぽい but っぱい had evaded me. Thank you. – LinguistCat Apr 30 at 21:46
  • @LinguistCat, do you have a link for the っぽい derivation? – Eiríkr Útlendi Apr 30 at 23:04
    Only through wiktionary, en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E3%81%A3%E3%81%BD%E3%81%84#Etymology which I now notice doesn't have a citation. Perhaps that was why it was easy to find. But if I see anything else backing it up I will comment again with the update. – LinguistCat May 1 at 19:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.