According to the dictionary I use to study, both are adverbs and their definitions are so similar that I can't tell the difference:

結局【けっきょく】: after all; in the end; ultimately; eventually

とうとう: finally; at last; ultimately; in the end

What is the difference between both words (e.g. meaning, nuance, level of formality, style of speech, none at all…) ?

「とうとう」implies a continual process that led to the outcome, whereas 「結局」doesn't.

For example, one can say 「結局力不足なのだ」but not「とうとう力不足なのだ」because 力不足 is not a state achieved via a continuous process. On the other hand, one can both say「とうとう力尽きた」and「結局力尽きた」which has roughly the same meaning, but the former draws a lot more attention to the continued struggle that led to the outcome.

Other examples:

Natural:「結局牛肉は好まれない」
Unnatural:「とうとう牛肉は好まれない」

1st:「少しづつ侵食が進み、とうとう倒壊した」
2nd:「少しづつ侵食が進み、結局倒壊した」

Both have very similar meanings, but the 1st describes how the gradual process eventually led to the outcome. The 2nd describes what the ultimate outcome was.

• Thank you very much, I understand it better now. Just for the sake of clarification, by "2nd sentence is unnatural" which one are you referring to?,「とうとう牛肉は好まれない」or「少しづつ侵食が進み、結局倒壊した」? – jarmanso7 Apr 28 at 19:13
    「とうとう牛肉は好まれない」is unnatural. – mamster Apr 28 at 19:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.