I'm failing to express an emotion in Japanese that one feels after something emotionally unnerving that had been intensifying was then suddenly released, primarily due to being resolved by the subject. I was thinking of 「圧力解放」 but it feels like a direct translation from English and might not be understood by native speakers. Is there a better word or expression for that?

I also found a question about 「解き放つ」 that might be one showing the right expression but I'm not sure.

• Are you looking for a noun that represents this feeling, or a verb to describe feeling this way? – Mindful Apr 28 at 4:10
  • Both a noun and a verb would do. In that particular conversation I needed a noun, but I'm not sure if it's relevant. 🤔 – Fleischpflanzerl Apr 28 at 20:20

To me, who is a Japanese-speaker, 「圧力開放{あつりょくかいほう}」 is not a word describing a human emotion. It is only a technical term meaning "pressure release". I would not use it myself, but you are not me.

Here are some phrases that could be used naturally with Japanese-speakers.

Nouns & Noun Phrases:

・「解放感{かいほうかん}」

・「心{こころ}が休{やす}まる感{かん}じ」

・「解放された/[解]{と}き放{はな}たれた感じ」

Verbs & Verb Phrases:

・「解放される」

・「解き放たれる」

・「ほっとする」

・「安堵{あんど}する」

・「一安心{ひとあんしん}する」

・「気{き}が休{やす}まる」

・「緊張{きんちょう}が解{と}ける」

・「気抜{きぬ}けする」

There should be more, but I should not be working too hard during the Golden Week.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.