Watasi wa akaku sitai. ? Watasi wa akakaritai. ?

How to say 'Be red!'?

Akaku siro! ? Akakare! ?

How to say 'It's being red at the moment (as in: it will turn purple and then blue soon)'?

Kore wa akaku site iru tadaima. ? Kore wa akakarete iru tadaima. ?

For na-adjectives:

How to say 'Be polite!'

Teinei ni siro! ? Teinei nare! ?

And how to say 'He's being polite (as in: he's usually not but in order to get what he wants, he's being polite at the moment).'?

Kare wa teinei ni site iru. ? Kare wa teinei narete iru. ?

• While your questions are not inappropiate because you have done your own research (good!!) and come up with your translated sentences, I see from your profile that most of your questions in here are requests for help with translations. Therefore, I kindly suggest you to give a try to the site lang-8.com which has been particularly created with the purpose of getting corrected your translations by native speakers of a language. I find both sites Stackexchange and Lang-8 are complementary and very useful, each one serving its own purpose. – jarmanso7 Apr 27 at 11:47
    ^ でも・・ Lang-8 は、ここ数年、新規登録停止になってるんです。。 – Chocolate Apr 28 at 5:40

It all depends on the context (if you don't provide more, we cannot help much), but in some cases you might use:
- Be red! 赤くなれ!
- It's being red at the moment 現在赤です。
- Be polite! 丁寧に話せ!
- He's being polite 今だけ丁寧に喋りやがっている

喋りやがっている <-- ううん・・ 「しゃべっていやがる 」「しゃべってやがる 」って言います。 – Chocolate Apr 29 at 5:13
  • I meant to use the construct explained in this article as "In order to use 「やがる」, you simply attach it to the stem of the verb": guidetojapanese.org/casual.html#part8 - are you referring to another usage of やがる that has a different meaning? – wip Apr 29 at 9:20
  • (I had in mind the consecrated example, ja.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/勝手にしやがれ) – wip Apr 29 at 9:21
    「する」+「やがる」は、「しやがる」です。(命令形は「しやがれ」であってます。)「している」+「やがる」は、「していやがる」/「してやがる」です。(「しやがっている」 is incorrect.)「しゃべる」+「やがる」は、「しゃべりやがる」です。「しゃべっている」+「やがる」は、「しゃべっていやがる」/「しゃべってやがる」です。(「しゃべりやがっている」 is incorrect.) – Chocolate Apr 29 at 11:59
  • Thank you, I did not notice this (I thought usage was like in colloquial sentence "何しやがってんの" that I thought I heard a relative using in the past). Your assertions seem consistent with explanations from kotobank.jp/word/やがる-647625 – wip Apr 29 at 18:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.