I'm trying to say "I played a game for a TOTAL of 1880 hours or 78 days, over a 5 year period."

I'm a 102 student and we aren't even through the first Genki book yet so this is very hard for me to express with my current knowledge.

I found this and i think i can adapt it to work for me. When is it appropriate to choose にわたって or を通じて in regard to time?

試験のために、一年を通じて勉強した。

'I studied throughout the year without taking a holiday break (possibly for a few years) for the exam.'

Is this translation/adaption correct?

五年を通じて、ゲームを千八百八十時間か七十八日ぐらいしました。

'Over a 5 year period, I played a game for a TOTAL of around 1880 hours or 78 days.'

There is a word that native speakers frequently use but Japanese-learners rarely, if ever, do to express the idea of "cumulative total" without using a big Sino-loanword. That word is 「延{の}べ」.

You can say:

「5年間{ねんかん}で延べにして1,880時間{じかん}(78日間{にちかん})ゲームをした。」 ,

「5年間で延べにして1,880時間(日数{にっすう}にして78日間)ゲームをした。」, etc.

If you want to sound a little more formal or technical by using a Sino-loanword, you can replace the 「延べにして」 part by 「累計{るいけい}で」.

Note I did not use 「5年を通じて」 because it is not too natural-sounding.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.