In Japan for three years, and I've noticed that the locals often sound like they're combining the two words "arigatō" and "gozaimasu" into a single word, "arigatōzaimasu".

Am I hearing things (possible, as they speak very quickly), or is this a common practice?

• You mean "arigatōzaimasu" as opposed to "arigatōgozaimasu", right?
    – taylor
    Sep 8, 2012 at 3:54
  • @taylor That's correct. Sep 8, 2012 at 3:57
    there is even あざ~す!
    – Earthliŋ
    Sep 8, 2012 at 4:02
  • @user1205935 does the shortened version follow the "melody"(for lack of a better word) of ありがとうございます?
    – Flaw
    Sep 8, 2012 at 7:56
  • @Flaw Yeah, sure, it follows the "melody" ;) I looked, but couldn't find a sound sample, sorry.
    – Earthliŋ
    Sep 8, 2012 at 8:03

2 Answers 2

Another possibility is that the /g/ is being lenited into a voiced velar fricative /ɣ/, as is common between vowels in Japanese. (See "Handbook of the International Phonetic Association: Japanese" by Hideo Okada, or Wikipedia.) Further, since the second /g/ has rounded vowels (/o/) on both sides, it is likely to be somewhat rounded (/ɣʷ/ = /w̝/).

The utterance, phonemically

/aɽígatoogozaimásu/

then would be something like

[àɽíɣàtoow̝ozaimás]

Judging by your username, I'm guessing you're a native English speaker. Since most varieties of English diphthongize /o/ to something like /ow/, and minimally distinguish vowel length, English speakers are likely less sensitive to the intervening [w̝] and to the extra-long vowel sequence /ooo/. So you hear the utterance as

/arigatoːzaimas/

which would be transcribed as "arigatōzaimasu".

Your assumption on my native tongue is correct, and that is one very fine and in-depth answer. Sep 8, 2012 at 9:01
  • The lenition to [ɣ] was what I had guessed as well. Good explanation!
    – Zhen Lin
    Sep 8, 2012 at 11:56
  • Does this rule out the possibility of an underlying morphological process? How do we know that /aɽígatoogozaimásu/ is or is not a derived compound?
    – taylor
    Sep 8, 2012 at 19:37

I think you're just hearing two words that get said quickly and become slurred because they're so commonly used together. Human beings are lazy like that. I would think that "thank you" sounds like one word to a non-native English speaker :)

• True enough, and again, they do speak their language quite quickly. Sep 8, 2012 at 8:01
  • Actually 39 (san-kyuu) is e-mail Japanese for thank you because that's how people say it to each other.
    – Tim
    Sep 8, 2012 at 9:19
  • @Tim: Ah yes, sorry, I meant "as spoken by a native English-speaker" ;) Sep 8, 2012 at 23:12

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .