I feel like this is a basic question, one whose meaning I don't think I fully understand. I'm watching a サンドウィッチマン コント on YouTube where 伊達さん is asked

"How many women have you been out with before?"

To which he pauses to think for a few seconds before replying with

んー3人ぐらいですかね

My question is what is the nuance of ですかね over です here? Am I right to take it that by using ですかね, there is just a touch of uncertainty in his response? I.e he isn't 100% that it was just 3 people?

The original conversation:

富澤: 今まで何人ぐらいの女性とお付き合いされたことありますか。

伊達: 今までですか。

富澤: はい。

伊達: んー3人ぐらいですかね。

YouTube video for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHh-_QmGESk&t=164s

You have pretty much answered your own question here.

「~~ですかね」 is a half-declarative and half-interrogative expression for making a statement that the speaker does not feel would need to be clear-cut.

It actually is used to mean what its components would literally suggest -- the interrogative 「か」 and the casual declarative 「ね」.

"Uh.. About three, I guess?"

• Mathiue Bouville's comment also makes a good point: What would the nuance be if it was かな over ですかね? – Nubcake Apr 22 at 9:15
    @Nubcake 「んー3人ぐらいかな。」←casual, 「んー3人ぐらいですかね。」←polite って感じですかね... – Chocolate Apr 22 at 15:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.