I see how 落 can be a failure. But how is 第 relevant to failing an exam, is this a meaning other than 'number, -th' or implicitly falling below first place?

I suggest that「落第」is a Chinese loanword. It originally meant failure to be selected as a ranked Imperial bureaucrat due to unsatisfactory results from the Imperial Examinations.

曾瑞 《留鞋記》楔子:"人都道我落第無顏,羞歸鄉里"

Everyone spoke about me not being selected for Imperial service, and to ashamedly return to my home village

• 「落」means to fall to the ground > fail
  • 「第」refers to the grade-ranking result of a candidate's attempt at the Imperial Examinations (「科第」in Chinese)

北齊 顏之推 《顏氏家訓・勉學》:"明經求第,則顧人答策。"

[Testing] one's thorough knowledge of the classics and to obtain Imperial rank, candidates are invited to answer these questions.

Reference:

• 《{{kr:漢語}}大詞典》
    This is right. The antonym of 落第 is 及第 (to pass the imperial examination). – jogloran Apr 21 at 6:06

According to this website about etymologies,

「第」は「第何位」などと用いられるように、一段一段の段階をや物事の順序を意味し、転じて、段階ごとの試験も意味するようになった。

そこから、落第は段階ごとの試験に落ちる意味で「不合格」を表すようになった。

中国では「不合格」の意味で用いられるが、日本では「落第生」と言うように、不合格になることで進級や卒業ができないことも意味する。

Paraphrasing the relevant part about 第: the 第 comes from 第何位 and referred to the stairs in a staircase or the ordering of things. It then evolved to refer to tests that comes in tiers/steps. Then, 落第 would mean to fall down from a step in the sequence of tests.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.