When I look up the Japanese definition (at dictionary.goo.ne.jp) of the word 好き嫌い, this is the definition that gets shown: 好きなことと、嫌いなこと。また、えりごのみ。

I can't figure out if 好きなことと、嫌いなこと。is a separate definition than また、えりごのみ。or if they make up the definition together?

I see the usage of また like this in a lot of Japanese definitions and I suspect that it makes up the definition with the sentence that came before it. However I can't figure out what また would mean in that case.

Thus my questions are:

Are those two sentences two seperate definitions or are they one definition?

And what does また mean if it is used in this way?

It means or/also. It's commonly seen in Japanese dictionaries in the form of また、そのさま。when talking about suru-verbs (among other things) to describe both the action (verb) and the state (noun).

You see similar things in English dictionaries too. The following definition for evil is an example.

the condition of being immoral, cruel, or bad, or an act of this type

• Thanks, I've been struggling with that for some time now. – C.Scheeres Apr 17 at 19:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.