It is my understanding that using the either the particle も or まで can both indicate surprise that the noun is included within some context.

(I'm not that advanced in Japanese yet so I apologise for mixing English and Japanese into the example. Hopefully I got the idea across).

Ex/

English: "Even children own phones!"

Japanese: "childrenも phonesを own!" v.s. "childrenまで phonesを own!"

Are these particles interchangeable in this context?

• I feel like まで would put emphasis on the ubiquity of phones, whereas も would emphasize that even children own phones. (Non-native and would not consider myself an expert) – Aeon Akechi Apr 15 at 19:37
  • By the way, it would be something like「こども『も・まで』けいたいをもってる」 – Aeon Akechi Apr 15 at 20:36

In this case, using 「まで」 would be just fine, but using 「も」 by itself would be a little too weak to serve the purpose of expressing one's surprise.

The most often used (therefore, most natural) particle choices here would be:

「こども + まで/までも/でも/さえも/でさえも + 携帯{けいたい}を持{も}っている。」

Among all those choices, 「まで」 and 「でも」 are on the informal side, and 「でさえも」 would be the most formal and emphatic.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.