I have difficulty translating the phrase アンニュイ言われても: it seems to me that breaking them into pieces that I can use dictionary feels off. Google translate often does better when it is given a full sentence, and I think it is almost correct, but I would like to see if there is better way to do this.

The conversation started off like this:

A: B, アイス食べたくない?
B: …そんなアンニュイに言われても…
A:  え?食べたくない?
B: だから!!
A:  私は食べたいよ?
B: 食べればいいじゃない!
A:  でも冷凍庫にアイスないもん
B: じゃあ、我慢しよーよ…

The closest I could find is "even if you say so", which I used Google translate plus personal interpretation. But if I break it into pieces, the first phrase means "ennui" which is closer to boredom (which matches the context, when A said she suggested she wants ice cream out of a sudden), but it does not fit the sentence literally.

The source is from a manga I read, for reference it's chapter 59 of 兄の嫁と暮らしています。

EDIT: I seemed to have missed に in the middle of the phrase, which is now corrected.

• It looks like we're possibly lacking context from before A suggests getting ice cream. Please provide source if you can and what you have found アンニュイ to mean. – BJCUAI Apr 12 at 0:47
    It looks like 'ennui', but I can't possibly understand what that word would be doing here. – Aeon Akechi Apr 12 at 0:49
  • @BJCUAI I have added some details. Unfortunately, from the source, the conversation literally started that way, which is not really out of context in my opinion. – Everiana Apr 12 at 0:59
    「アンニュイ"に"言われても」なら分かります(単に「けだるく」とか「興味なさそうに」みたいな意味です)が、本当に「アンニュイ言われても」ですか? – naruto Apr 12 at 1:32
  • @Everiana That manga seems to be listed as diary entries, rather than chapters, with 'Diary.57' being the latest release. Do you have an advance copy or am I missing something? – BJCUAI Apr 12 at 1:44

The original text is アンニュイ言われても. It's "say it in an アンニュイ way" rather than "say アンニュイ".

image clip

アンニュイに (from French ennui) in this context means "lacking energy", "without passion", "listlessly", "as if you were uninterested/bored", "drowsily", etc.

At least in Japanese, アンニュイ sometimes has a positive connotation. アンニュイな魅力を持つ人 or アンニュイな雰囲気の人 can refer to an attractive person because of their coolness or expressionlessness. See this article for example.

• That clears it up, thanks. Sorry for the typo :O – Everiana Apr 13 at 0:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.