My Japanese male friend addressed me with “anata” while we were talking about casual things. That was the first time I have heard from him and usually, he addresses me by my name. I want to know why he used “anata” to address me? (We have been friends for more than a year.)

Possible duplicate of Can you use "anata" with people you don't know well? – ajsmart Apr 9 '19 at 13:21
    I can't see how the linked Q/A answers this question. That entire thread is about talking between strangers, while the OP's situation is: Ps:We have been friends for more than a year. – dROOOze Apr 9 '19 at 13:27
    Without more context it would be quite difficult to know why this friend used 'anata' this time around. They might have just slipped, they might have used it intentionally to mimic someone else (maybe a person in a position of authority), they might have been attempting to show that their patience was being exhausted, or 'anata' might have been an integral part of an oft-heard expression they were using. I'm just speculating, but that's the point. – BJCUAI Apr 9 '19 at 15:08