In the Wikipedia article https://ja.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%89%B9%E5%88%A4%E7%9A%84%E6%80%9D%E8%80%83#CITEREF%E9%81%93%E7%94%B02001, it talks about critical thinking and the details that come with it.

In one section, it talks about the guidelines to critical thinking. One guideline in particular says:

利用可能なもの、最初の思いついた答えに固執しない。

I think it translates to something like “Available things, do not stick to the initial answer you came up with.”

But I think I am missing something here. Maybe もの has a meaning that connects the first part to the rest of the sentence.

Please help me.

You should parse it like this...

[利用可能なもの(や)、 最初の思いついた答え]に固執しない。

So the もの is a noun (物), "thing" "something".

"Do not stick to [available things and/or the initial answer you came up with]."

Example:

使わなくなったもの、要らないものをメルカリで売ろう。

More concretely, this もの refers to an "idea" or a "solution" you already have. – naruto Apr 9 at 5:42
  • Oh, thank you so much! I've gotten pretty good at parsing Japanese sentences, but some of them definitely had me stumped! But then, I guess Japanese people get stumped over some English sentences, don't they? – Micheal Gignac Apr 9 at 13:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.