E.G. 言わなくても良くない

I've always been curious about this, but none of the books or classes I've had ever approached it

So what exactly do you wanna mean with that? A double negative that becomes a positive? – Felipe Oliveira Apr 8 at 13:03
  • I'm just curious if it means anything of significance. Only ever heard used as (verb)てもいい – Roy Fuentes Apr 8 at 13:04

~てもいい basically means "It's okay even if you do...", eg:

「言ってもいい」 -- "It's okay even if you say" → "It's okay to say / You may say"
「言わなくてもいい」 -- "It's okay even if you don't say" → "You don't have to say"

To say "You may not do..." or "You have to do...", you'd use ~(なく)ていけない, rather than ~(なく)て良くない (×も→◎は):

「言ってはいけない」 -- "It won't do if you say" → "You may not say"
「言わなくてはいけない」 -- "It won't do if you don't say" → "You have to say"

~て良くない, ~ていけない would usually mean "Doing ... is not good (either)":

「食べすぎても良くない/いけないが、全く食べなくても良くない/いけない。」
or 「食べすぎるのも良くない/いけないが、全く食べないのも良くない/いけない。」
"Eating too much is not good, but not eating at all is not good, either."

You'd also use ~なくても良くない? at the end of a sentence in casual conversation, like this:

「学校なんて行かなくてもよくない?」 -- "You don't need to go to school, right?"
「そんなこと言わなくてもよくない?」 -- "You don't need to say that, do you?" "Do you really need to say that?"

Your question makes no grammatical sense. The ~てもいい form means, literally speaking "Even if you do ~, it's OK" (or, in the negative, "Even if you don't do ~, it's ok"). If you want to use ~てもよくない, what you are trying to say is, "Even if you don't do ~, it's not OK". What would such a phrase mean, or how would it be used? I don't think such a phrase would make sense, so I'm going to go with a "don't do this".

• I'm not sure about this specific case (that's why I didn't answer the question myself), but I believe double negatives are def a thing in japanese. Your answer makes it seem like it is not. For instance the pattern ない+と+いけない。Is a double negative that ends up with a positive meaning. I guess op wants to know whether this is possible or not here. – Felipe Oliveira Apr 8 at 16:35
  • @FelipeOliveira Double negatives are absolutely a thing in Japanese, that is true. However, I'm not sure what the OP is trying to say with this double-negative, and so whatever it is, is probably wrong. – Ertai87 Apr 8 at 17:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.